Skip to main content

Chinese New Year Comedy with Old Master Q at Resort World Genting




If you are born in the year of the 60s to 80s, I bet you will definitely remember the comic book characters, and I admit I am born in 80s, a fan of Old Master Q.



Old Master Q or also known as 'Lau Foo Che'/ 老夫子. The Old Master Q, its humor and social significance. Guess what? Old Master Q and Mr Big Potato are at the Resort World Genting since 9 January until 29 February 2016.


Found this from http://Lao+Fu+Zhi.jpg

These are the animated comic I found it from YouTube

The comic book character provides valuable insights into Chinese society, culture and technological development. Share with you some great news, Professor Joseph Wong, one of Hong Kong's most influential comic artists, and his team are responsible for bringing Old Master Q, and his friends to Resort World Genting for the Chinese New Year celebration.



Why Old Master Q? Why not others comic character?
Let me share more about Old Master Q comic book, Professor took over the publication of the comic strip and the management of its spin-offs in the 90s from his father, Alfonso Wong, who first created the character in 1962. Since 1995, Professor has established a business in Taipei to promote the publishing of Old Master Q, and its image and branding.

In the original stories, the bumbling Old Master Q typically runs into bad luck in life but never loses his humor and wit. He is always joined by the kind-hearted yet humorous Mr Big Potato, the straitlaced Mr Chin, and the lovely Ms Chan. There is also Mr Zhao who competes with Old Master Q in courting Ms Chan.


In the 60s, the stories were mainly situated on the streets of Hong Kong and featured everyday scenes of people as they went about their lives. But as the city became more international, cultural phenomena such as James Bond and the Beatles began appearing in the stories. The comic strip has also moved on to include Professor's own experiences of Hong Kong and Taiwan over the past 20 years.

"Despite all the changes, the Old Master Q still has the same humor and same cheeky face and attitude. And after all these years, the is still single," Professor says, adding that the character remains "casual and uncomplicated" and that "the formula hasn't changed in half a century."


I visited them at Resort World Genting, notably at First World Plaza, where the live show held at the Times Square Stage. The shows, held from 12pm to 12:30pm, 5:30pm to 6pm, and 8pm to 8:30pm, from 6 to 29 February 2016 with Old Master Q and his cool gang, and I took lots of photos with them.


Old Master Q, Mr Big Potato, Mr Chin, Ms Chan and Mr Zhao are all featured in the show that is as educational as it is entertaining. Children and adults alike will be reminded about the Do's and Don'ts of Chinese New Year and other traditional aspects like the colour of fortune for the festival and various lion dance instruments.



Cantopop music by Sam Hui will fill the air with a distinctive 60s-70s feel - the era when Old Master Q first begins. Also scheduled to make an appearance is Choy Sun Yeh in all his resplendent.

"So I join Old Master Q for some singing section"


All these  photos are taken in Hong Kong Old Street Decoration Booth at Universal Walk where Old Master Q limited edition membership card will be available for newly signed up Genting Rewards members.

"I have some fun time with them"

 "Learn some Kung Fu Martial Arts from Old Master Q"













Over at the merchandise booth, fans can buy limited edition key chains, special edition ang pow packets, mug, drawing bag, and limited edition original Master Q comic books. Limited edition Master Q sculptures will also be on display.







My boyfriend and I had lots of fun there with other bloggers as well. We would like to thank Resort World Genting for this opportunity, and also thanks to Genting PR Eric Moo for the arrangement and spending time bring us around.


Here are some Bonus for you to know more about Professor Wong

Professor Wong's other passion is architecture and he still lectures in the field in a Taiwanese university. After graduating from the University of Kentucky, he began teaching in Philadelphia, University of the Art in 1983 and later set up his architectural creation studio. He was appointed as the director of the institute of Architecture in 1991, a position that allowed him to work with many international architects and scholars in construction planning and design co-operation projects, but Professor's dedication to the artistic masterpiece started by his father is unmistakable. He once told a newspaper he decided to take over from his father when the latter "was too told to pick up his pen."

"I wanted to help him at first, then I fell into the trap," he said, adding that it was a "happy trap." He believes that readers of the comic strip span multiple generations and are not confined to national boundaries. He has seen second-generation or third-generation children of Chinese descent in the UK and the US who, despite being barely able to speak Chinese are still drawn to the comic strip.


That's all for now :) I hope you guys are enjoying reading, and don't forget to drop some comments/ feedbacks.

Comments

  1. Great to know that you had fun in genting with Old Master Q! I have always like this comic since I was young, it's great to explore as it brings back fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love flipping through Old Master Q's comic when I accompanied my mum to her regular salon. The salon lady had so many of this comic books stacked up. Brings back a lot of memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love to read lao fu zi comic a lot! Hopefully i can join Genting event in future too =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha.... so cute the cartoon character. I love the funny lao fu zi comic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Old Master Q and glad able to meet you there. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. arg~you never tell me there are many interesting things there. sob sob...hope they have old master Q event again. my childhood fav comic ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice to enjoy the love show there! :D i kinda miss my childhood comic characters now

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard this is quite good. I wanted to go to Genting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I misses it. I love Master Q, being growing up reading about it T_____T

    ReplyDelete
  10. awh! You have so much fun there. I love master Q too, my childhood memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have visit this Master Q Art too! I watch their live show too. So funny and cute XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Master Q? Wow, my all time favourite comic character. Used to read when I was schooling. Totally forgot about this comic until I saw your post again. Time to dig back my old collections.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genting is always fun for me and I love that they have so many different events everytime, the MasterQ exhibition was definitely a great one for families

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha they were really very funny and entertaining. I had a fun time too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lazada : My TOP 10 Wish list : Effortless Online Shopping : Lazada 4th Birthday 2016

Lazada is a well known e-commerce company, but how many of you know that Lazada is turning 4 this year? This year celebrates the 4th anniversary of Lazada in Malaysia!!! Happy Birthday Lazada ^_^ Since being their anniversary, Lazada had offered me to write down my Top 10 wish list for my birthday. Usually everyone will have a wish list during their anniversary, so do I. Although I am a female blogger, but my wish list below is more into gadgets and most of them are available through Lazada. Let me share with you what are my top 10 wish list. 1. Apple MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch) 2.7GHz DC / 8GB / 128GB Why MacBook is first on my list? I am a Web & Graphic Designer, and sometimes on my blogging, I do need to edit videos; which MacBook Pro is supporting graphics and video. Besides, the battery life is up to 10 hours wireless web. The MacBook Pro also has an APP name iMovie , which is making our jobs easier on editing video. For more

DaYung's (Paradigm Mall) Kelana Jaya

Da Yung's Freshness in a cup Which is located in Paradigm Mall, in front of Tesco. Fresh X Green X L ife What I love about DaYung's? - 100% natural ingredients - 100% fresh juices - No preservatives My favorite 4 drinks (recommended): Best Seller!  Mango Smoothie   RM 10.50 20% off Promotion date: (Valid until 14 Feb 2016) "I love this smoothie the most, it melts right after you drink." Must try!  Cherry Tomato Smoothie   RM 8.50 Promotion price: RM 7.50 Promotion date: (01 Feb - 07 Feb 2016) (07 March - 13 March 2016) The alluring red, with the sweetness of plum juice, completes your satisfaction with the freshest flavour. "This is the best Cherry Tomato Smoothie I've ever tasted." Must try!  Kumquat juice with Chia Seed & Aloe Vera   RM 8.50 Promotion price: RM 7.50 Promotion date:

Food Review: Der Backmeister

Welcome to D er Backmeister!!! Artisan German Bakery and Coffee Shop that serves traditional type of healthy bread. I have never been to a bakery that serve acidity coffees, delicious meals that allows you to choose types of bread, meat slices and mustard/ game by yourself. So, what's special about this bakery shop? They bake their breads in the shop daily, and I mean every morning since 3am. They never keep their bread for the next day. One of the reason I love this shop is their vintage feel of environments here. Once I stepped into Der Backmeister, the atmosphere here tells me they are nothing similar as any other cafe, you have to visit here by yourself to experience it only then you will able to tell me how you feel about this unique bakery type coffee shop. Oh, not to mention their services here, you will need to self-order at the counter, first thing you will know is greet by their friendly staff and warming conversations. You could even get their r